We are almost at the end of our classes for summer 2013. Please come back at the beginning of spring for dates for our next classes. If you are interested in attending one of our classes, please email us to have your name placed on our list. See below for an outline of the course offered.
Experience a one day beekeeping course for beginners with Alf and Sharon who have 35 years experience handling bees and producing honey in Victoria. The day is divided into two sessions:
10am – 12 noon: Will involve a presentation by the beekeepers and display of beekeeping equipment.
1pm – 2pm: Lunch provided, cuppa and sandwiches.
2 pm – 3pm: Opening beehives and observing bees here at our property at Upper Beaconsfield.
There will be a maximum of 5 students per lesson. Protective clothing will be provided unless you wish to bring your own.
The course will include:
- description and display of equipment required to set up your own hive,
- a short history of the Langstroth hive and the significance of the bee space,
- the biology of the honeybee including a description of the castes and life cycle of the bee,
- description of the main races of the honeybee available in Australia and their characteristics,
- a description of the biology of the flower and it’s relevance to the honeybee,
- description of the causes and practical methods of prevention of swarming,
- a description of bee pests and diseases, their symptoms and prevention,
- details of communication among honeybees in the hive,
- discussion of the issues that arise in the keeping of bees in a suburban backyard and the Apiary Code of Practice,
- registration requirements and food safety issues.
In the afternoon the practical observation of hives will include:
- a demonstration of the correct method of opening a hive and use of protective clothing,
- use of the smoker and the hive tool,
- examining brood and honey frames and finding the Queen.
The course cost is $180 and a non refundable deposit of $40 will be payable to secure your booking . The balance of $140 will be payable one month before the course date. We will contact you at that time. You can read a participant’s review of our course at her blog.